Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Paula Millhouse about her new book Three Wishes!

Today we have an interview with Paula Millhouse about her new book Three Wishes!


Thanks for hosting me and Three Wishes today! It’s great to be here, Sheri and Jenn!
2 Bibliophiles Guide is a great site.
 
Thank you for the kind words and ffor stopping by Paula. 
We both enjoyed Three Wishes and have some great questions for you today.
 
 
Lets start easy. What is your favorite Genre of books to read?
 
Paranormal romance - I like a little magic with my love story. I also like romantic suspense because thrillers don’t have enough romance for me, but I like a little bit of action in my romances.
 
Do you have any favorite authors? If yes, Will you tell us who?
 
I love what Deborah Harkness did in A DISCOVERY OF WITCHES. Older James Patterson thrillers, especially the Alex cross series. When I was younger I loved to devour Jude Devereaux’s romances, especially the time travel fantasy romances. Jon Konrath makes me laugh, and that’s a good thing. I’ve discovered a host of excellent writers at Boroughs Publishing Group.
 
What/who inspired to write your first book?
 
Wanting to find the perfect combination of Thriller/Romance & Fantasy.
 
How long have you been writing?
 
I have stories that I was writing with a critique group when I was thirteen years old. I won’t tell you my age, but suffice it to say that was a long time ago. I’ve kept journals my whole life, and about three years ago that migrated into writing for publication.
 
What was the first book you remember reading? (other than childrens books)?
 
BEACH MUSIC by Pat Conroy
 
I noticed a theme with the titles of your books. Wishes. All the two series have totally different elements though. Are you a believer it the fae and all things magical?
 
I believe wishes are prayers that deserve our attention and nurturing. In fiction, at least, I do believe in all things magical. THREE WISHES is a fairytale set in modern-day Savannah, Georgia, and it’s as close as I’ll ever get to creating magic.
 
What inspired 3 wishes?
 
I learned about fairy doors on a recent day trip with my family. Apparently if you put out fairy doors, and fairy charms, legend has it fairies will come visit your property, If they’re pleased with your offerings they’ll hang out and protect you. My Muse worried that something evil might try to come through those doors, and a plot hatched to find a Hero instead. Michael McKnight became that hero, and the story was born.
 
I love Michael the Tall, is he based on anyone in particular?
 
I’m so glad to hear you loved Michael. He surprised me, and I fell instantly in love. My DH is my personal hero, and I suppose most of my leading men find their honor and valiance through his example.
 
Can you tell us what you are working on next?
 
Absolutely, and thanks for asking! DRAGONSTONE is due to be released in May by Boroughs Publishing Group. It’s a Lunchbox Romance about an Elf Prince who travels through time to rescue a stolen baby dragon. Along the way, he finds his princess, and this high heat fantasy romance features magic and love in perfect sync. While DRAGONSTONE is a short story, its novel follow-up is my current work in progress.
 
Have you ever based a character on yourself or someone you know?
 
Absolutely. All my characters are compilations of everyone I know from real life and fiction. Everyone had better behave or I’ll put you in my next book for the villain to deal with.
 
When writing do you dictate the story or do the characters tell you what to do?
 
This is a great question. I firmly believe that my characters take on a life of their own, and I’m just there to take down notes. Surely each one of them comes from inside of me and their actions and responses are my way of dealing with situations, but I don’t know...several characters I’ve written definitely led the charge. Michael McKnight is the perfect example. I worried about those fairy doors, and he showed up for work the next day, demanding his story be told.
 
Do you outline?
 
I’m a reformed Pantser. I struggle with outlines, and I’m getting better at tolerating the damn things because I feel like at some point an outline robs the story of its gusto. However, learning to use an outline as a fluid roadmap certainly saves a lot of time in revision.
 
Did Michael keep his powers or is he human now?
 
King Dionis allowed Michael to keep his powers. Once Abby broke his spell, Michael resumed his true nature, that of an ancient leprechaun in all his former glory - think huge, hot, warrior well-endowed with magic and gold. Oh, and his skills at making fairy shoes. Of course, that takes magic.
 
I have never heard of fairy charms. I know of fairy doors, and own a couple. Can you tell us more about fairy charms, please.

How cool is that that you have fairy doors! I love them.
Fairy charms are any miniature decoration you might leave just outside your fairy door for your fairy's pleasure. For instance, all the best dressed houses don't just have fairy doors, they have garden benches, tables, chairs, garden tools,umbrellas, glasses to drink from; any type of whimsy you love, your fairy's should love too. Take care with your offerings though - if your fairies are not pleased, they will set to causing mischief in your house and your gardens.
 
Do you have fairy charms?
 
I DO have fairy charms! The very day Boroughs Publishing Group awarded me the contract to publish Three Wishes, I bought the most exquisite fairy ball. It's huge, mad of blue-green colored glass, and solar powered. I placed it out in my garden. It glows at night, and I know my fairy's love it. I often think I see them dancing around it at night.

Will there be any more books related to Three Wishes?
 
What an excellent question! I'm currently off in another fantasy land dealing with some dragons, and their elves. First I have to help them solve their issues, but we'll see what time and inspiration spins out of my imagination. Somewhere in the back of my mind lies the question of just exactly how the Fairy Queen Melise knew Abby's father Angus. I think there just may be a story there...

Thanks so much for hosting me and Three Wishes!

 
Thank you for stopping by Paula, it was a great pleasure talking with you, and I look forward to checking out your other books. :-D
 
 
 
Read below of an excert and a giveaway!!

Three Wishes
Paula Millhouse

Genre: Fantasy Romance
Publisher: Boroughs Publishing Group
ISBN: 9781938876585
ASIN: B00BUPDH61
Number of pages: 46
Word Count: 18,500

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
Book Description:
Abigail O’Malley wants to find true love…which is about as easy as catching a leprechaun.
Abigail O’Malley’s world turns upside down when a rival Irishman threatens to take her bar, an historic Savannah landmark, mere days before the start of the annual St. Patrick’s Day celebration.

 When she captures a leprechaun, her three wishes include his gold, fairy magic, and the mystery of her One True Love.

Will Michael McKnight have time to prove he’s up to the task of granting all her wishes before the bad guys close in and destroy Abby’s dreams forever?
Jenn's Review:

This is a short story about true love and a leprechaun. Its not what you think, Abigail O'Malley catches herself a Leprechaun Michael McKnight the Tall, and her three wishes include his gold, fairy magic, and the mystery of her One True Love. Abbey is about to lose her family home and the bar that her family owns. Michael is a hero and Abby cant understand her good fortune. This is a sweet tale of childhood love lost and found, fairy romance and misdeeds. A wonderful short story. I found the sex scene wonderfully funny, as one would expect of a virgin who has never been exposed to sex. A romantic, funny love story, well worth the read.

Overall Rating:

 
 
Sheri's Review:
 

Three Wishes is a really good short story. Paula does a wonderful job of mixing in a plot, with romance and fun, and kept things interesting.  I loved Michael and how quickly Abbey was able to overlook his size to see a person.  I loved that Abbey had such simple (yet hard to do) wishes.  You have to respect a lady who is true to herself! 

I loved the storyline, and would love to see a prequel or sequel.  I would love to know why her father had hid the fairy charms away, and how he was so close to the King and Queen in the first place.

It was pretty cool that you could see Abbey slowly seeing her childhood friend in the leprechaun before her.  Showed how genuine a person she was.  I wish we had a little more detail about Michael and Abbey as kids, and what he did to become cursed. 

Over all great story though, and I highly recommend it.

Overall Rating:
 

Short Excerpt:

The afternoon had gotten away from her and twilight loomed, so Abby took the charms and strode across the yard to the old oak. Her imagination ran wild with thoughts of fairies dancing in the wooded area, fireflies though they might have been. She longed to see them again, longed for a time when she had the unfettered mind of child, when her world revolved around her parents, when she was safe and loved, and happy.

She approached the old live oak and placed the miniature fairy door at the base of the tree, just so. Next she settled one of the delicate little chairs beside it. Now the bench, and the remaining two chairs belong on the other side, on the old rock. She walked around the tree, set up the fancy little charms in an inviting arrangement, squeezed her eyes shut and asked a mighty question of the universe and whatever power imagination truly held within the world. She asked for hope, peace, and some way to solve this mess with her father’s bar.

“Please, little fairies, I need all the luck you can lend me today. I’m inviting you back to play. Please come back home and show me what to do.”

A mighty wind kicked up and swirled through the branches of the grand old oak, fluttering her hair with its force. Abby opened her eyes then frowned, surprised. Clearly, the stress of it all had finally taken its toll. The fairy charms vibrated and glowed with brilliant color, and a leprechaun dressed in a Kelly green suit, with a top hat and pointed shoes, stood waiting on the other side of the tree. A radiant smile lit his face.

Abby gasped, stepped back, and scurried around the oak toward the safety of the house. Then she shrieked. Her world closed in around her. Her heart hitched and her brain screamed foul. Her knees chose that moment to give way, and she collapsed into a heap at the base of the tree.





Author Info:
Paula Millhouse grew up in Savannah, Georgia where Spanish moss whispers tales in breezes from the Atlantic Ocean, and the Intracoastal Waterway. As a child Paula soaked in the sunshine and heritage of cobblestones, pirate lore, and stories steeped in savory mysteries of the south. She’s a member of Romance Writers of America, the Fantasy, Futuristic, & Paranormal chapter, the Mystery/Suspense chapter (Kiss of Death), and a member of Savvy Authors.

In the southern tradition of storytellers, she loves sharing the lives of her characters with readers, and following her muse on the quest for happily-ever-afters in thrilling romantic fiction.

She lives with her husband at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains with their pack and pride of furry babies.

Website Address: www.paulamillhouse.com
Blog Address: www.paulamillhouse.com
Boroughs Publishing Group Book site: http://boroughspublishinggroup.com/books/three-wishes
Goodreads

22 comments :

  1. Happy May Day Sheri & Jenn,

    It's great to be here at 2 Bibliophiles Guide and I'm thrilled you enjoyed Three Wishes.

    Your interview questions made me smile, and I enjoyed our conversation. Thanks for sharing my Lunchbox Romance with your readers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, Paula. We also seem to like a lot of the same authors in Ms Harkness and Mr Patterson- his earlier stuff too for me. I loved all the fairy trivia and the fact you have a fairy ball in your garden! May all things fairy and magical continue to inspire you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, Sue!
    So cool you like the early JP stuff too - his villians are diabolical.
    Happy May Day,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paula,
    I love reading about where stories came from. The genesis of Three Wishes is so interesting...one might say, magical. ;) I read the book and loved it. Can't wait to read more fairy stories.
    Oh, a Discovery of Witches is one of my recent faves as well!

    Continued good LUCK with your writing!
    ~Kellyann Zuzulo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shout out, Kellyann!
    I love the stories behind the stories too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview, Paula! Three wishes is such a sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Amber thanks for dropping by!

      I love finding a sweet story among all the Romangst today. How cool that Jenn and Sheri liked it too?

      Delete
  7. Loved the interview, Paula, and I loved the book!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider your saying that a huge honor Jami!
      I love that you found time to enjoy my story, and I appreciate you stopping in today.

      Paula

      Delete
  8. I love hearing more about you and your story. And what's not to love about the idea of a fairy door. Good luck with your tour!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon, EW!

      I know, right - Fairy Doors are so cool. Just imagine the good luck with those little babies around.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Hi Paula,
    I loved your story and now after I read this, I might just read it again.
    I can't wait to read your Dragon series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bonnie,

      So glad you stopped by - your support of this story has been amazing! I'm looking forward to the Dragon series too - Can't wait to share!

      Delete
  10. Hi, Paula, I enjoyed getting to know you. Love your story. How creative and intriguing. I'll have to check the Boroughs site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cara,

      I have found some outstanding reading at Boroughs Publishing Group - their covers totally ROCK!

      I'm glad you stopped by, and thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like such a fun story, Paula. Don't you just love it when characters take a story in their own direction? Best of luck with Three Wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good afternoon, Charlotte,
    Thanks for stopping in today.

    I DO love it when my characters take the lead - it just feels right. It's funny to get the reactions of friends and family when I tell them the characters are running the show.

    Thanks for the wishes for Three Wishes!



    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool, Paula! I didn't know about fairy doors and the like until THREE WISHES :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Priscilla!

      Thanks for stopping by 2 Bibliophiles Guide this evening!

      Jenn & Sheri's questions really spotlight the Fairy Doors, and Fairy Charms. I think they're both a way to affirm the positive energy in the Universe. There's so much bad out there, so why not contrast that and ask for a little goodness in your life?

      I think the Fairies agree!

      Delete
  14. Gotta love a demanding hero, huh? I love this story and your interview was a lot of fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Samantha -

    I think Michael McKnight knows what he wants and he goes after it with all the gusto of the alpha male he is. Sure, he has to give some important things up along the way, but what he gets in return sustains him.

    So glad you stopped by,

    Paula

    ReplyDelete